Hello World!

Welcome!

I am Jack Wampler (jmwample), and this is my shiny new blog! I'm making this post first, both for you (dear reader) and for me. This blog exists in a context and understanding that context will make our extended form of conversation easier for everyone. Let me answer a few questions here first (mostly to organize my own thoughts)!
  • What is this? 

    This is a blog. My very own. I made it myself very recently for documenting some of my work in a public way. There are a LOT of things I do not know about running a blog, and a LOT of things that I do not know in general.

    First and foremost - I do not know who the audience for this blog is yet! However, if you are reading it hopefully it is you. I love science, technology, and creative projects and I spend a lot of time thinking about them. So I hope you found this blog because you love science and technology and creativity too. However if you didn't I hope that this blog is able to inspire you to love those things a little more.
  • Who are you?

    Or maybe I should say Who am I?!

    I am a currently a graduate student from Albuquerque NM, living in Boulder Colorado. I work primarily on Computer Security, but I also try to stay current on topics like computer privacy, ethics, censorship and many other areas.

    I am a climber and a distance runner, and I am trying my hand at many other things too. I am hoping some of those things make their way on here in one way or another. 
  • What should I expect to see?

    Content!  But don't get greedy because I only have so much time, and I certainly can't promise a regular schedule.

    I am a human (for now), and I have opinions that others might not agree with. If you disagree with me that is great! Please tell me why in a comment and accept that it may not be possible to change my mind. Constructive debate is my goal, so if anyone does show up -- expect to see that.

    Primarily I plan to use this space to document some of the projects that I am working on. Currently that is composed of a few main thrusts. As often as possible I will provide code, electronic diagrams, or other setup instructions. [github]

    Occasionally some art! Some of my own creation and some that I really enjoy.

    Research 

    I do research with Dr. Eric Wustrow at the University of Colorado Boulder. While we publish works and contribute to the academic world as regularly as possible, I have noticed that some of the smaller experiments that we have done go relatively unloved as far as documentation is considered. My goal here is to provide write-ups for the small (and the occasional large) research efforts that I am a part of, or am excited about.

    Course Work 

    A second reason for creating this blog is a class! We are documenting our projects and home-works for a Wearable Technologies course with Professor Melissa Felderman. Expect to see a decent amount of this in the upcoming weeks. I am really excited about these projects and I think you will be too.

    Personal Projects

    I do lots of things, some work out and some don't. None are quite as well documented as I would hope for them to be, especially in public facing ways. I have ideas, and some turn into projects, but when it is only me thinking about those projects their life-span isn't always as long as I would hope. This is where you come in! If you see a project that you think is interesting or could potentially be interesting -- please, please, PLEASE comment.
  • What should I expect not to see?

    I am going to do my best to make this a space that can be shared by all humans, and if it is preserved long enough, all sentient beings.  If your contributions are derogatory, aggressive, insensitive or otherwise make this space unwelcoming for other humans (again, for now), they will be removed. Feel free to report any of these things to me and I will address them as quickly as possible.

    I am currently bad at both languages and blogs. So for now I would not expect to see any content in languages other than English (my apologies).

If you made it this far I just want to say thank you, and I hope you enjoy the content and the community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wearable Polygraph Update

Wearable Polygraph